We have all suffered it at some point, and it is extremely frustrating trying to find why the connection has suddenly gone to snail’s pace. In this article, we will shed some light on the common reasons that cause internet slowdowns. In order to check if your internet is slow you can run the PTCL Speed Test on your system and in a few minutes, it will show the results on your screen.
Reasons Of Slow Internet Speed:
Here are some of the most common causes for a slow internet rate.
- Some peer-to-peer software program operating in the background or on some other system that is utilizing all the speed. Make sure that all peer-to-peer programs are turned off on any PCs in the home then recheck the connection.
- The windows operating system or a few other programs on the PC might be doing updating or up-gradation. This is another general reason of slowdowns on the internet connection. You should check if any program upgrading or updating in the background and also check the taskbar of the windows updating icon.
- BT can be doing work on the phone exchange as they do carry out standard maintenance on the computer systems. It can also be that an error has built up within the phone exchange. There are a lot of sites that let you to check the status of the phone exchange.
- An error on the ISPs; Internet Service Providers side. You can frequently discover out if this is the case by the service status on the site. If this is the case you might have got to wait until the problem is solved or if it is not solved within twenty four hours give them a buzz.
- Spyware or malware can frequently reason a slowdown in the broadband connection as they can be utilizing the connection or restraining it. Doing a complete malware check with something like virus scan and malware bytes scan will more often than not clear this up.
- An incorrectly configured modem or router can frequently be found to be the reason of slow broadband connections. This can sometimes be solved by just turning the modem or router off for at least five minutes and then turning it back on over again.
- Is somebody in the home streaming films or playing some games online using the different devices or the Xbox? This is yet again a frequent reason with the accessibility of online film streaming. Make sure that no other tool is utilizing the internet connection and then test the link again.
- Somebody leeching (utilizing) the wireless network connection. Although not as frequent now it can still occur on some open to attack wireless networks.
- Extremely low wireless signal if you are utilizing a wireless gadget.
- An issue with the internal cabling of your house can be reasoning speed problems on your internet.
If your internet speed is continuously slow, you should run the PTCL Speed Test and then try to fix it after determining the cause of it.